Ayurveda is the medieval Indian system of wellness and medicine and has always been known for its holistic approach to health and wellness. And when it comes to beauty, Ayurveda has a treasure trove of natural remedies to help you achieve radiant, glowing skin. One such remedy is the Ayurvedic ubtan, a potent cocoon of herbs, grains, and oils that can work wonders for your skin.
If you are new to the term ubtan and its benefits for the skin, recall it from the Haldi ceremony of Indian marriages. You must have seen a yellowish-orange paste that gets applied to both bride & groom. That paste is traditional Ubtan, an Ayurvedic recipe to exfoliate, detoxify and nourish the skin and body. Ayurvedic ubtan for glowing skin has been a primary ingredient in the secret of beauty for many beautiful Indian queens, like Queen Jodha, Rani Padmini, and many others.
The origin of Ubtan dates back to the Vedic times. Since then, Ubtan’s been popularly used to beautify and protect the skin. Let’s deep dive into this sea of Ayurveda and find everything you need to know to incorporate this powerful skincare ritual into your beauty routine.
What is Ayurvedic Ubtan?
Ayurvedic ubtan is a natural exfoliant used in India for centuries. It is made from a beautiful blend of natural ingredients from mother earth, such as turmeric, chickpea flour, sandalwood, rose petals, and various other herbs and grains known for their skin-nourishing properties. The word “ubtan” means “to apply” in Hindi, and it is traditionally used as a pre-wedding ritual to help brides achieve glowing, radiant skin on their big day.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Ubtan:
Ayurvedic ubtan has numerous benefits for the skin. It can help to:
- Bring a real glow to the face: The natural exfoliating properties of ubtan help to remove dead skin cells, revealing smoother, brighter skin. Natural ingredients like gram flour and rose water leave the skin supple and fresh. Sandalwood powder is also known for skin brightening.
- Detoxify and cleanses the skin deeply: The herbs and grains in ubtan help to draw out toxins deep within the skin, leaving it clean & refreshed.
- Nourish: The natural ingredients in ubtan are abundant in minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that hydrate the skin by leaving it soft and supple.
- Reduce inflammation: Ayurvedic ubtan contains anti-inflammatory ingredients such as turmeric and sandalwood that can help to calm and soothe inflamed skin.
- Make you look younger and improves skin tone: Turmeric used in ubtan makes the skin appear youthful by reversing the signs of aging. It has antioxidants that restore the lost luster and moisture of the skin. Regular use of ubtan can help to improve skin tone and texture, leaving the skin looking radiant and glowing.
How To Make Ayurvedic Ubtan at Home?
Making your Ayurvedic ubtan for face is easy, allowing you to customize the ingredients to suit your skin’s needs. We have cocooned a simple recipe to get you started:
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp sandalwood powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp rose petal powder
- 1 tsp neem powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1 tsp almond powder
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2-3 tbsp rose water
Steps to follow:
-In a bowl or plate, combine the above dry ingredients and mix well.
-Then add the honey and mix until it forms a smooth paste.
-Slowly add the rose water, one tablespoon at a moment, until you have a smooth and spreadable paste.
-Apply the ubtan gently to your face and neck, then massage it into your skin using circular motions by hand.
-Leave the ubtan on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
-Result is your naturally glowing skin. Use Ayurvedic Ubtan for Radiant Skin 3-4 times in a week for best results.